This newsletter’s topics:
- App updates: Review mini-games
- Next version plans: Audio matches
- Polygloss news: We got into Google for Startups Cloud Program!
- A language expert reviews Polygloss
- Best feedback & shout-outs
- Supporting Polygloss
- Recommended resources
🆕 Version 1.3 is out!
Click here to download / upgrade. What’s new:
This is a feature I’ve been meaning to add for a long time! A while ago, I wrote a blog post about it to get the idea out and start collecting feedback. While the idea matured, I focused on some other parts of the app, and I’m really happy I now got back to this and it’s finally out.
Reviewing costs 20⚡️ energy points for free users or ✨nothing✨ for Polygloss Unlimited subscribers. You can select which content you want to review. And once you start, you will be given a sequence of different mini-games to help you review what you’ve practiced so far in Polygloss.
@polyglossapp Polygloss now has review mini-games!
You can select different types of content to review:
- Previous texts you wrote: Great for reactivating and solidifying your active vocabulary, especially if you used help to write your texts.
- Corrections you’ve saved: Great for avoiding making that mistake again.
- Bookmarks you’ve saved: You probably saved it for a reason! New word? Interesting expression? Uses a grammar you find difficult? You can review your bookmarks here!
- Previous texts you received in a match: Great for getting some repeated input and help some of your passive vocabulary move into your active vocabulary.
- Texts from other players’ matches: Great for getting some new input and increasing your comprehension. You can adjust the privacy of your matches in the settings.
And there are different kinds of mini-games:
- Select the image
- Reorder words
- Pair sentences with images
- Evaluate correctness
- Listen and fill the gap ( Available in 10 languages for⚡️Polygloss Unlimited Subscribers only)
More 1.3.0 updates:
✨ Added bookmark and award option on match completion screen.
📈 Increased speed of image loading and pop up transition.
🐞 Fixed punctuation in right-to-left languages on bookmarks, history, and corrections.
♿️ Fixed font size variability in multiple screen.
🖼 Allowed announcements with youtube videos.
🐞 Fixed bug with announcements version.
🐞 Fixed bug saving time-recovered energy.
🐞 Fixed subscription maintenance bug.
✨ Updated Google Translate.
🐞 Fixed bug with listen button.
🐞 Fixed bug with color scheme.
🐞 Fixed bug opening old corrections.
✅ Correction from speakers.
I adapted the review feature for the languages that you already speak. This allows you to help other learners by sending them corrections and rewards.
More 1.3.3 updates:
📣 Added listen and fill the gap to review mini-games.
🌎 Added privacy settings for reviews.
🏋️ Testing positions for review button.
🐞 Fixed another bug opening corrections.
🐞 Fixed bug that closed reviews when reporting a message.
🐞 Fixed bug with energy counter jumping during match.
🐞 Fixed multiple small UI bugs.
🐞 Fixed a crash when starting a match.
🐞 Fixed issue on iOS that did not save autocorrect preferences after closing and reopening the app.
🐞 Fixed bug not allowing to scroll review screen on smaller screen.
✨ Improved UI of review screen, and tooltip messages.
🐞 Fixed bug with fill the gap exercise when sentence has repeated words.
🐞 Fixed bug with review preparation getting stuck in some matches.
🐞 Fixed error deleting bookmarks.
🐞 Checking autocorrect preferences on iOS again.
Other (no app update necessary)
🐞 Fixed timing of unanswered match purging.
📈 Improved unanswered match redistribution algorithm.
🏋️♀️ Review feature unlocked for all players.
🎤 Plans for next version
🔜 Audio matches! For version 1.4 we will add the possibility to record an audio, and send that with the match instead of a text message. This has been a much asked feature and I can’t wait to start working on this! It will be available for all languages.
We have been selected for the Google for Startups Cloud Program! 🎉 This means we won $2000 in credits to use on Google Cloud Platform. GCP did not represent a major cost for us so far, (this will reduce our Firebase bill from +-$15 to $0 for two years). But that will allow us to use this money for other costs such as marketing, and test new features that would be too costly otherwise in the future. Besides the credits awarded, the program will also give us different kinds of training and networking opportunities, for another extra boost to Polygloss.
Best feedbacks and shout-outs
Every time we send out a newsletter, we will pick the player who gave us the best feedback or shout-out in social media and send them a surprise prize! 🎁 Tag us on twitter, IG, tiktok or facebook to participate. The winner this month is @LanguageCargo!
Hej #langtwt !— Monika (@LanguageCargo) April 5, 2023
Let’s make @polyglossapp a lively place 🌱🌸
It forces you to build actual sentences and you can get creative (as much as the number of words you know in your TL allows you to)
…and if we are friends on Twitter too we can discuss grammar in DM 😁
In the last month, Polygloss players wrote 18,155 texts in 50 languages!
Highlights of last month:
- Congratulations to the 🏴 Scottish Gaelic community! The language joined the top ranking in Polygloss, passing French and replacing Toki Pona as the 4th position 💪
- Congratulations to the 🇮🇩 Indonesian learners, you are the most prolific of the app! With only 11 active players, you wrote over 5k texts and brought Indonesian to the top 8.
- 🏴 Welsh remains strong in the first position of most used languages, and went up from 4th to 2nd position in average per player.
🐦 Write a post about us on social networks
Polygloss is a collaborative game: the more people play, the better the learning experience. Inviting other folks and helping us grow our community is the best way to support us! Tell them what you think of the app, and send them the link to our website: https://polygloss.app
Other ways to support Polygloss:
- ⚡️ Subscribe to Polygloss Unlimited, we have pay-what-you-can monthly, yearly, and lifetime plans. The possibility to buy a lifetime subscription is not going to be unlocked to all players forever, so get yours while you can! With the subscription you get: unlimited energy points to spend, a special crown on your username, and access to audio features in 10 languages. Click here to see the full breakdown between free and paid features.
- 👯♀️ Share Polygloss with your friends.
- 🌟 Write us a review at the Android Play Store or at the iOS App Store so more people can find and download the app.
- 💪 Volunteer to become a permanent member of our team who can reach out to language communities on a regular basis. See more at our Governance Notion page.
- 💌 Send us feedback and suggestions.
[Scottish Gaelic] Three days learning Scottish Gaelic during Language Jam
[Welsh]Listen to Meic Stevens's song "Y brawd Houdini" (Houdini's brother) with lyrics in Welsh and English translation.
[Spanish] 50 songs in Spanish with Lyrics on Spotify
What did you think of these updates? Drop a comment below, we’d love to hear your thoughts 👇